Thursday, October 11, 2018

Minutes for the Berkshire Conservation District Meeting on September 12th

Board Meeting of Supervisors
Wednesday September 12th, 2018 at 5:00 PM Silvio O’Conte Building
78 Center St., Suite 206, Pittsfield, MA 01201, Conference Room

Minutes
1. Call to Order – 5:00pm by Mary Stucklen
BCD Board Members Present: Mary Stucklen (chair), Amy Burdick (treasurer), Ned Kirchner, Holly Aragi, Gail Ceresia (Administrator).
2. Secretary’s Report
Review of minutes by members. Corrections made: Item 10i- Change “max 40 hours a week” to “average 10 hours a week”.
Motion to accept: 1st- Holly, 2nd – Amy, In favor (3), Abstain (1)
3. NRCS Report
            None, No NRCS present.
4. Treasurer’s Report –
Motion to continue 1st- Ned, 2nd- Holly,  In favor (3),  Abstain (1)
  1. Spring Plant Sale Closing (Reported last month)
  2. Bills to Pay
    1. Vanbloom Nursery - $591.84
    2. Netherland Bulb – $1,042.81
Motion to pay bills: 1st – Ned 2nd- Mary, All are in favor (4)
5. Program Administrator’s Report
  1. Hours Worked July 1st - August 1st (continued from August meeting)
  2. Hours Worked August 1st- September 1st
    1. Comment: Include brief topic descriptions for each section so that hours are accounted for each topic.
Motion to accept: 1st- Ned, 2nd- Mary, All are in favor (4).
  1. Work and Business Update
    1. Gail mentions that we should apply for the ACRE grant for the No-Till. She will investigate further.
  2. Office Hours Update
    1. Monday Morning: 9a-1p.
6. Soils Workshop
a. Date/Time – November 2nd
      Comment: Mary is unsure about the date.
c.     Location – BCC and other?
Discussion: Ned has land available, but it may or may not be ideal. BCC offers lunch. We think soup and wraps. Coffee and fruit for the morning.
c. Mailing List Suggestions
      Discussion: Gail needs suggestions for the mailing list and has a list of potential groups already.
d. Insurance-
Discussion: Gail is looking for recommendations and liability. Holly recommends Farm Family Insurance. Amy says that we pay Hartford a lot of money and they should have something in our policy that should cover this.
e.     CEU’s –
Discussion: We have to register them, at least 10 days before. Need it in soon. Every hour is 1 CEU. We are aiming for 6 CEUs. Phrasing for our brochure
f. Digging/back-hoe
g. Goal for flyer and agenda
      Discussion: Other workshops are not so great, we can definitely produce a pamphlet and workshop much better than the other available workshops. We need to put the registration on the webstore as well.
h.  Approve a certain amount of $$ for deposits-
Motion to approve up to $1,000 for deposits/seed money: 1st – Ned, 2nd – Mary All in favor (4).

Continued Business
7. Annual Meeting
  1. Date/Time- Thursday, November 15th at 5:30 -8…?
  2. Location – Cork ‘N Hearth, 80 People
  3. Cost-
Discussion: Try to do half cost.
  1. Collaborators –
    1. Silent Auction?
    2. Contact big corps for sponsoring Greylock, other.
    3. Speaker: Do we pay? No they get free admission/food.
  2. Menu-
Discussion: We need to choose 3 options and one vegetarian option. Cash bar.
Vegetarian: Mushroom Ravioli. Meals: Chicken Marsala, Salmon, New York Steak.
f.      Invites
                        i.         Sponsors, State people, Collaborators (Mike Balawender), BEAT, NRCS, Farm Bureau, Mass Audubon
8. FY 2019 Audit: Scheduling and Requirements
Discussion: We need it done, and who will do it? Mary explained her conversation with Tom Anderson on the audit, and Amy informs us that a lot of information is in Quicken but it’s not very user-friendly. Holly is curious to know if our programs can suffice for audit purposes. So Gail is going to try to find a CPA and is putting it on the to-do list.

9. Other new business
  1. Announcements
10. Adjournment made by Mary Stucklen at 6:22pm

Upcoming Events/Meetings:

-->
Next Board Meeting Wednesday, October 10th, 2018 at 5 PM Silvio O’Conte Building, Pittsfield, MA

Tuesday, October 9, 2018

Agenda for October 10th Meeting

Board Meeting of Supervisors
Wednesday, October 10th, 2018 at 5:00 PM Silvio O’Conte Building
78 Center St., Suite 206, Pittsfield, MA 01201, Conference Room

Agenda
1. Call to Order
2. Secretary’s Report
3. NRCS Report
4. Treasurer’s Report
  1. Bulb Sale Closing
  2. Bills to Pay
  3. Revenue
5. Program Administrator’s Report
  1. Hours Worked Sept 1st- Oct 1st  
  2. Work and Business Update
  3. Office Hours Update
6. No-Till Update

Continued Business
7. Soils Workshop Update
8. Annual Meeting
  1. Logistics
  2. Donations
  3. Collaborators/Events
9. FY 2019 Audit: Scheduling and Requirements

10. Other new business
  1. Announcements
11. Adjournment

Upcoming Events/Meetings:

-->
Next Board Meeting Thursday, November 15th, 2018 at 5:30 PM at Cork ‘N Hearth, Lee, MA